With prayerful remembrance of our deceased family members, friends, faculty and Staff
|Lillian Therese Karboviak
Died January 23, 2017
Mother of Karen Pietrusinski ’66 and Lynette Karboviak ’79
| Gerald LeBlanc
Died January 24, 2017
Father / Father-in-law of Greg and Marlene (Noesen ’75) LeBlanc
|Patrick William McGurran
Died August 14, 2017
Brother of Sr. Michelle McGurran
Died August 8, 2017
Husband of Rose Ann (Breidenbach ’55) Plutowski
Died January 25, 2017
Mother of Merylann “Mimi” (Jacobson ’67) Schuttloffel
Eternal rest grant unto them, O God!
|Sally Marie (St. Michel) Herzog
Class of 1955
Died August 16, 2016
|Mary ‘Pat’ (Mercil) Earp
Class of 1976
Died September 19, 2016
|Carolyn Theresa (Klava) Miller
Class of 1966
Died January 28, 2015
The Sisters of Saint Benedict from Villa Saint Scholastica in Duluth, Minnesota, came to Crookston and founded their community here in May 1919. By 1922 the plans for the motherhouse and academy were completed. On September 2, 1923 Bishop Timothy Corbett performed the Solemn Blessing of Mount Saint Benedict Convent and Academy. On September 5th , 1923 the academy opened with an enrollment of 70 pupils – 29 resident and 41 day pupils. The day students were the girls from the Cathedral High School and the Cathedral High School became an all-boys school in 1923. In 1924 the first class of girls graduated from Mount Saint Benedict Academy.
On March 21, 1928 Mount Saint Benedict Academy was accredited by the University of Minnesota. Mount Saint Benedict academy closed at the end of the 1939 spring term. In the fall the Mount girls attended the Cathedral High School which was again a coeducational institution for the first time since the spring of 1923.
On September 5, 1942 the Sisters of Saint Benedict started a new educational project of having an exclusive school for prospective members of the Benedictine community of Mount Saint Benedict. In September 1944 Mount Saint Benedict Academy reopened as a regular High School with a full four year academic program. The resident girls returned to the Mount Academy from the Cathedral High School.
On March 21, 1961 there was ground breaking for the new Mount Saint Benedict Academy. In the fall of 1963 the school year opened in the New High School building and resident students in Marian Hall. Mount Saint Benedict Academy became coeducational in 1968 when the Cathedral High School was closed.
From the fall of 1980 to the spring of 1982 Mount Saint Benedict Academy was leased to the Diocese of Crookston and the Diocese administered the High School. The Mount Saint Benedict Academy was closed on May 28, 1982 because of declining enrollment. There was a total of 59 graduating classes from the Academy. Mount Saint Benedict Academy has been closed now for 32 years.